About Me

My photo
Three and a half years ago I became vegetarian. Three and a half weeks ago, anticipating a certain health diagnosis at any time, I also gave up all added sugar in my diet. My mother is of a certain generation and, although a very good cook, struggles to know what to offer guests with specific dietary restrictions. She once had a vegetarian and a coeliac for dinner at the same time, and nearly lost her reason! So, the idea for this blog was born. Every recipe that features here will be vegan (and, obviously, vegetarian), gluten free, sugar free, lactose and dairy free, and suitable for people on a low sodium diet. That's right, you read that correctly. Even if you have guests with each of these restrictions coming to the same meal, everything here is safe for them. And, before you expect weird and wonderful ingredients to make an appearance, everything I'm using can be bought in larger branches of all major supermarkets - you don't even need to visit health food stores. Try the recipes and tell me what you think!

So What's This Tweet Treats Thingy All About?

Watch the brilliant 30 second trailer below and all will become clear!

Tweet Treats Trailer from Catherine Ryan Howard on Vimeo.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Get Cracking!

Happy Monday, everyone.  Today's challenge was for egg recipes, and I'm delighted to announce that I have now got over 800 recipes - 803, to be precise!  I'm now two thirds of the way to my goal of 1200.  Again, thank you all - I couldn't have gotten this far without you. :)

Now for our challenge winner.  I got plenty of egg recipes, but most of them were savoury.  The winning recipe stood out because it was sweet (and sounds yummy).  It is this one for custard tart:

"Heat 750ml cream, beat 12 egg yolks, 115g caster s. Blind bake pastry. Whisk egg, sugar, cream 2gthr. Into pastry, shake allspice. 200c 50min"

Today's rockstar is @chiddle84!  I knew you were good for something, really.  You'll have to make that one for us.  ;)

Speaking of making recipes, I really want to hear from anyone who's tried a #tweettreat recipe to see what you think.  Was it easy to understand? Did it turn out well?  Tell us in the comments or on Twitter using the #tweettreat hashtag.

Since it's Monday, traditional cold cuts day, tomorrow's challenge is for recipes for leftovers.  Bits of meat or chicken; stale bread; cooked vegetables; even sauces.  What do you do with them to avoid waste?

Best/most ingenious/tastiest recipe will win rockstar status for tomorrow. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment