About Me

My photo
Three and a half years ago I became vegetarian. Three and a half weeks ago, anticipating a certain health diagnosis at any time, I also gave up all added sugar in my diet. My mother is of a certain generation and, although a very good cook, struggles to know what to offer guests with specific dietary restrictions. She once had a vegetarian and a coeliac for dinner at the same time, and nearly lost her reason! So, the idea for this blog was born. Every recipe that features here will be vegan (and, obviously, vegetarian), gluten free, sugar free, lactose and dairy free, and suitable for people on a low sodium diet. That's right, you read that correctly. Even if you have guests with each of these restrictions coming to the same meal, everything here is safe for them. And, before you expect weird and wonderful ingredients to make an appearance, everything I'm using can be bought in larger branches of all major supermarkets - you don't even need to visit health food stores. Try the recipes and tell me what you think!

So What's This Tweet Treats Thingy All About?

Watch the brilliant 30 second trailer below and all will become clear!

Tweet Treats Trailer from Catherine Ryan Howard on Vimeo.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Rice to the Occasion

Wow, what a day this has been for #tweettreat!  Thanks to concerted efforts from some fabulous friends, the word about this project has been spreading farther and faster than ever.  A huge push is on to get the attention of various celebrities, and hopefully get recipes from them.

This evening alone recipes came in from Graeme Swann (@Swannyg66), @JillMansell, @LoreleiKing and @clairehennessy. Hopefully more and more well-known names will join our ranks over the coming days!

It's incredibly hard to pick one rockstar on a day like today, when so many people have done so much work.  Lots of new people have tweeted recipes for the first time, other people have badgered on my behalf.  However, today's challenge was for rice/pasta/couscous salads, so one of those will be honoured.  Today's rockstar is:

"Tropical rice salad. To cold cooked rice add tinned/fresh pineapple chunks, mandarins cut small, dessicated coconut & sultanas."

And today's rockstar is @hmhunt! Congratulations. Really like the sound of that one, will be giving it a try. :)

Special mentions also have to go to three ladies I had a great chat with this morning, and who have given me tremendous help to drum up interest in #tweettreat.  They are @mduffywriter, @Strictlyinkblot, and @HowDidUGetThere.  They are not alone - lots of you have helped so much - but they deserve special mention.

Now, before I start blubbing and thanking my mom and my neighbour's cat, I'm just going to set the next challenge.  Monday is a Bank Holiday in Ireland, but not everywhere, so I will be blogging; and Monday's challenge is for Breakfasts.  Or Brunch, I'm not too fussy; but you know, that first meal of the day.

Have a great weekend everyone, and keep spreading the word!


No comments:

Post a Comment